Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Girl reading outdoors, 1898

Illustration of a girl reading outdoors, by Edith M. Taylor, 1898
  As I virtually flipped through the digital edition of "Little Bright Eyes", published circa 1898, this was the first image I knew I would save. This girl looks so peaceful, sitting under a tree with a book, while her brother fishes in the background. It's presumably quiet and just right for catching up with your favorite fictional characters! (The above is cropped to focus on the girl reading. The original is below.) 

   The illustrator here, Edith M. Taylor, is a bit of a mystery, which always makes the researcher in me frustrated. Having a common name makes it extra difficult to track down things like her date of birth or death. We know she often partnered with her sister Mabel F. Taylor on illustrating projects, such as children's books and postcards for Raphael Tuck & Sons of London.

Illustration by Edith M. Taylor of a girl reading beneath a tree

   I can trace her only to Croydon, Surrey, England, where the census of 1891 shows her listed as an artist and illustrator, and living with her widowed mother and 3 adult siblings, as well as 3 servants (one was 15 years old!). Her death date being a mystery to me, I can't say for sure her work is in the public domain in any country except the United States. If you have any info on her, I'd be grateful to learn more!
  
  If you read my research frustrations (I tend to go on once I get started!), you certainly deserve a bonus Edith Taylor illustration, this one from the same book. Which one is your favorite? 
Illustration of a boat, with two children in the background on shore

No comments:

Post a Comment